I’ve added scores of new free resources, book reviews, videos, and more—all because I know you want to change lives.
The Remedy for Secular Psychology
A friend shares with you a set of emotional symptoms that leave the two of you stumped. Where do you turn for answers that make a real difference?
A parishioner tells you about a decade-old “besetting sin” that they just can’t find victory over. Where do you turn to discern root causes and robust cures?
Real Answers for Real People with Real Problems
Whether you’re a lay person or a pastor, where do you turn for real answers?
Unfortunately, too often, in our sincere desire to help our hurting friends, we race to the latest trends. We turn to secular psychology and find human-shaped answers for God-shaped problems. We discover human-sized solutions when what we really need are God-sized SOUL-u-tions.
There has to be a better way.
There is. It’s God’s way. It’s learning to be a soul physician from the ultimate Soul Physician—Christ. It’s Christ-centered, comprehensive, compassionate, and culturally-informed biblical counseling and spiritual formation.
It’s the way the Apostle Paul spoke about and prayed about in Philippians. “And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight” (Philippians 1:9).
Soul Physicians: The Remedy for Secular Psychology
It was in my first pastoral ministry that I began equipping lay people and pastors to become soul physicians. I longed for them to understand people, diagnose problems, and prescribe solutions—biblically. I long for you to do the same.
Twenty-five years later, I authored Soul Physicians: A Theology of Soul Care and Spiritual Direction. It’s the remedy for secular psychology.
It’s also the remedy for “take two verses and call me in the morning.” It remedies “secular help” and “shallow help.”
Soul Physicians helps you to help your friends. It empowers you to change lives with Christ’s changeless truth.
Unique Focus: Life’s Seven Ultimate Questions
Soul Physicians explores from the Scriptures seven truths that shape the way we see life and ministry. These truths about life’s seven ultimate questions teach us what makes biblical counseling truly biblical.
• Question 1: “What is truth? Where do I find answers?” Answer 1—The Word: “God’s Word is sufficient, authoritative, profound, and relevant.”
• Question 2: “Who is God?” Answer 2—Community/The Creator: “God is Trinitarian.”
• Question 3: “Who am I”? Answer 3—Creation: “We are created with dignity by God in the image of Christ.”
• Question 4: “What went wrong?” Answer 4—Fall: “We sinfully and foolishly choose god-substitutes over God.”
• Question 5: “Can we change? How do people change?” Answer 5—Redemption: “We must apply our complete salvation to our daily sanctification.”
• Question 6—“Where am I headed? What is my destiny?” Answer 6—Consummation/Glorification: “Heaven is my final home.”
• Question 7—“Can I help? How can I help?” Answer 7—Sanctification/Ministry: “We dispense God’s cure for the soul—grace.”
• Soul Physicians includes a built-in personal application discussion guide to help develop the Christlike character of the biblical counselor.
• Soul Physicians includes a built-in ministry implication discussion guide to help develop the relational competence of the biblical counselor.
• Soul Physicians is written in the language of “theo-drama”—relating theology practically and powerfully to our calling to love God and to love one another.
• Soul Physicians is comprehensive and compassionate—blending robust biblical truth with caring one another application.
• Soul Physicians is perfect for individual and group work. Join the growing number of lay people, pastors, professional Christian counselors, and students who are using Soul Physicians as their twenty-first century manual for understanding people and ministering to them God’s way.
To read what others are saying, to download a free sample chapter, and to order Soul Physicians at 40% off, visit my RPM Ministries (http://www.rpmministries.org/) Soul Physicians page: http://www.rpmministries.org/writing/soul-physicians/
Join the Conversation
Where are you turning to be equipped for one another ministry in the local church that trains you to understand people, diagnose problems, and prescribe solutions—biblically?