Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Church Racism

Church Racism

Let’s be clear—there is no “typical” African American church. Just like there is no “typical” white church. Any statement coming from any person of any color that suggests there is one, monolithic, stereotypical style of “doing church” that represents and summarizes all black churches, is quite simply wrong at best, and racist at worst.

So, what has my dander up today? The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, former Senior Pastor at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago (Barack Obama’s home church), launched into a diatribe at the National Press Club on Monday, April 28. Now, lest someone label me “racist” for taking on the Rev. Wright, please realize that even Barack Obama, who until recently tried to give his former pastor the benefit of the doubt, has now expressed outrage at Wright’s recent comments.

My outrage is directed primarily toward one specific claim in Wright’s speech to the National Press Club—that his fiery denunciations of white America and his radical accusations against the American government (which Barack Obama disavows) are par for the course for the typical African American church, and that historically, the African American pulpit has always spewed such vitriolic, hateful, and angry messages.

As just one example of many that counter Wright's contention, consider Charles Babington's (of the Associate Press) interview with John Overton of Chapel Hill, NC. Overton noted, "I was the only white person" for about a year at a black church in Beaufort. "I never heard anybody talk like that."

Rev. Wright claims that disagreements with him are an attack on the black church. Such could be the case only if one viewed Wright as representative of the typical black preacher.

Having studied in detail the historical African American church (please see my book, Beyond the Suffering: Embracing the Legacy of African American Soul Care and Spiritual Direction), having worshipped and preached in scores of African American churches, having trained hundreds of African American pastors, and being friends with scores of faithful African American ministers, I can tell you authoritatively that many pulpits in black churches historically and today have focused on rightly dividing the Word of truth. When they have exhorted America and/or white Americans, it has been in a humble spirit of biblical and prophetic ministry, calling all Americans, including blacks, to salvation in Christ and social justice for all.

But the Rev. Wright is not the only man of color who has recently stereotyped the black church. In an otherwise excellent book (The Decline of African American Theology), the Rev. Thabiti M. Anyabwile declares that the stereotypical black church has moved from biblical faith to cultural captivity (for my full review go to: http://www.rpmbooks.org/labels/Anyabwile.html).

Again, while respecting the Rev. Anyabwile, I respectfully disagree with his stereotyped assessment. Many black pulpits historically and currently highlight the biblical preaching and teaching of the Word.

Honestly, I’m confused what value people think it may bring to offer one-sided, stereotypical, inaccurate views of the black church and the black pulpit. If we are ever to heal racial divides, then we must start with facts and with truth. And the facts are clear—the black church, just like the white church, comes in all shapes, sizes, and colors—many remain faithful to the Lord and to the Word. To say otherwise is, frankly, church racism.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think Rev. Wright's comments from the Press Club are far fetched--most of them I agree with. However, I don't think that most people realize that impact slavery and jim crow has had an impact on the african american community. Too often people forget that the civil rights movement was less than 60 years ago and all of a sudden, blacks are suppose to forget? Racism is alive and well in this country.

Has there been a serious decline in the African American community with regards to biblical teaching? Of course, it's sad.

Is he (wright) bitter? Of course.

Is (black) liberal theology legitmate? I am not so sure. I disagree with the emphasis on social justice and disagree with their views of Jesus Christ as only a liberator.

Should wright be speaking about all the crap america has done to blacks? I think he has some legitmate concerns from his era.

Should America be damned? Maybe. We have done a lot crap to a lot not only to african amreicans, but to others, too. He is right in that what you reap is what you sow.

Is he un-american? i don't think so.

Wright doesn't speak for all black churches and is out of line for assuming the position of the leader of the black church.

However, His comments on race relations and the need for reconcilation are true.

I don't think evangelical christians (especially white evangelicals) are ready to comfort racism. They don't see or experience it. As long as they have their missions trips to places that don't look like them, or contribute to some food kitchen in some poor neighbor, or have a couple of minorities on their staff at their churches; they will always be able to purchase racial reconcilation on the cheap.

My two cents.

Doc. K. said...

Cornelius,

Thanks so much for posting. Though I may not agree with all your perspectives, I made the original post because I wanted to continue the conversation--which is a vital one that we must have. So what "famous school in Chicago" do you work at? I have some guesses. I agree that few people have a clue about the impact of slavery and ongoing racism. But I also, as my blog notes, think it does more harm than good to stereotype black churches. Have some had a serious decline in theology--in the white church and in the black church--yes. But not all. But Wright is saying more than, "Don't forget." He is saying things, in my opinion, that diminish the focus on real issues and discourage people of a lighter hue from engaging in the conversation. Those were my main points. Thanks again for your perspective. I think you would find "Beyond the Suffering: Embracing the Legacy of African American Soul Care and Spiritual Direction" to be of great interest to you.

Bob

Anonymous said...

Racism in the African American church, in my opinion, is often from the internal rather than the external. Having lived in white communities and gone to schools encompassing the white community, I find that most of the race issues are dealt by the African American race themselves. We as a race having done too well with seeing past the history of what happened in slavery; personally, I have never been a "victim" of the system or even close, but rather a victim of trying to be taught how to use the race card to make a mark and change in this society. I went to a university that was teaching us to get ahead of the white man and don't be subject to oppression in this society. Personally, though, the only oppression I've experienced have been from my own family members (extended) and others from my own race. I learned from my white family that they are able embrace friend and foe, stranger and alien, no matter what and care for them as one of their own. Also, they would be willing to use all they have to help someone in need. As an African American, I am saddened that my own race has this "self" and "my" mentality, especially when it comes to church. It is through them that I have learned to embrace people, stranger and friends alike, and look beyond color and embrace each other as family. Of course, I am referring to saved saints of God. Even my own dear mother isn't use to being around a different culture but struggles with being an African American female among a large community of white females. But to me, it's so natural. I think if many more could learn this and see the character of people, racism in the AA community may be reduced to something that is unthinkable; of course, though, as I concluded in my paper, the only solution to racism is the Gospel of Jesus Christ! I hope many more African American churches would focus on that and intentionally make efforts to integrate their churches with the white community so that the church will reflect a taste of what Heaven will be like, when all nations and peoples worship together, white and blacks and all between come together for the glory of God!

Anonymous said...

Let us be careful, here. Just as Wright has given us a negative stereotype, we must not be too rosy positive in reaction.

The truth is that many African-American churches are "in between"--not fully "liberal" nor fully biblical either. Some, in fact are liberal in the classic sense and some are preaching the gospel and "rightly dividing the word." When you paint the rosy picture you do in this post, you provide an overly positive stereotype which is as far from the truth as an overly negative one.

In fact, both African-American churches and white evangelical churches are too often, far too "captive to the culture." As a result they have little serious impact on their communities.

Evangelical churches, whether African American or "white" should seriously examine why they have so little impact outside their own walss, and see how they might challenge their respective communities toward Christ.

Liberal/mainline churches, (and fundamentalist ones too, in both communities, should repent and put Christ at the center, beyond all other agendas, whether socially liberal or socially conservative.

Doc. K. said...

Fred,

Thanks for your comments. I knew this post went from preachin' to meddlin'! And I knew that an attempt to present a balanced perspective would lead to reactions from either side of the pendulum. Given that I started with the caution: "Let’s be clear—there is no 'typical' African American church," I don't see how this is a stereotype at all. Given that I simply said, "many pulpits in black churches historically and today have focused on rightly dividing the Word of truth," I don't see how that paints an overly rosey picture of reality, unless you are say there are not "many" black pastors preaching the Word. If so, please come visit some churches with me . . . I also simply said, "Many black pulpits historically and currently highlight the biblical preaching and teaching of the Word." How is that an overly positive stereotype when I simply affirm the reality--based upon extensive historical research and extensive personal experience? With you, I'm all for calling black and white churches to relate Christ's truth to our changing world. And I'm all for exhorting all churches to change lives with Christ's changeless truth. But I hardly see how it is helpful or accurate to make blanket, stereotypical statements that are not factually verifiable. I think that is especially dangerous when it is done predominantly against one race.

In Christ's Grace and Truth,

Bob

Unknown said...

I purchased your book today, I look forward to reading it.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Cornelius. I agree with Reverend Wright's critique of white racism. I have been following liberation theology for years and the one thing that needs to really be focused on is the destruction of white racism. Black people must forgive if they follow Jesus and there has to be a way for white folks to grow past growing up in a white supremacist culture. It's a both and situation.

p

Doc. K. said...

Anon, Thank for your post. Cornelius said a number of things--which ones do you agree with? You said that it is "both/and." I agree totally--that's why I wrote this boast in hopes of building bridges of dialogue. The question is, "both/and" what? Is it helpful to reconciliation if the main message of a black preacher is that America should be damned? Isn't it interesting that when a white preacher like Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell said that 911 was due to abortion, that the liberal media almost had a riot. But now Wright said that we are the cause of terrorism, and some applaud him? Sounds like a double standard to me. Again, I am totally in favor of whites facing any injustice that they still are responsible. And I am all in favor of blacks, as you indicate, granting forgiveness. Of course, all people of all races need a Savior. In fact, in "Beyond the Suffering," there are several powerful quotes where black Christians recognize that freedom from the bondage of sin was the first need, even before freedom from the sin of bondage. As Christians, let's all agree that salvation is the starting point. Then let's all agree that living out our faith in love and justice harmoniously should be the logical, theological, and practical result of salvation in Christ. Thanks again for joining the conversation. Bob