Thursday, January 01, 2009

Be a New Year MVP for Christ!

Be a New Year MVP for Christ!

Almost everyone is at least tempted to make some sort of New Year's resolution every January 1. Unfortunately, studies show what a meager percentage of us follow through.

I find that our resolutions are too small--too focused on now and not focused enough on the big picture of our life.

What we need is the bigger picture of God's calling in our life. For years I have taught students, pastors, counselors, and lay people a process of developing a personal and ministry MVP-C Statement. Briefly, here's how we might apply this concept to our New Year's resolution.

M Is for Mission

The "M" in an MVP-C Statement is for your mission from God. We must base our mission on clear biblical directives. A mission statement clearly defines what God's Word says about how I fulfill my calling from God.

So . . . whatever your January 1 resolution is . . . have you backed it with the Word? Put another way, Does God have your back? Go back to your resolution and put meat on it by examining and applying specific biblical principles related to your resolution.

V Is for Vision

The "V" in an MVP-C Statement is for your unique God-given vision or dream. It is your DNA or finger-print. It is the way God designed you to fulfill your mission differently from anyone else on the planet.

As an example, my calling and mission from God is to write, speak, and consult about biblical counseling and spiritual direction. Now other people do the same. But what is the DNA of "my way" of doing so? After much prayerful pondering, I now state my vision as: writing, speaking, and consulting about comprehensive, compassioante, and culturally-informed biblical counseling and spiritual formation that equips others to change lives with Christ's changeless truth.

So . . . as you reflect on your 2009 resolution . . . have you sought God's unique design for how you will fulfill it this year. He has fearfully and wonderfully made you. In what special and specific way will you fulfill God's dream for your life in 09?

P is for Passion

The "P" in an MVP-C Statement stands for your passion. In a passion statement we attempt to summarize in one brief, pithy, memorable phrase our focus. For me, my passion is one picture: Coach. In everything I do, I am a coach. I live to equip others. I love to coach others to speak the truth in love. So my passion is also one phrase: Equipping You to Change Lives with Christ's Changeless Truth.

So . . . as you activate your 09 resolution, what one phrase can you post on your laptop, link to your Blackberry, put on your fridge . . . that reminds you constantly why you do what you do in 09?

C is for Commission

I know, you are saying, "Wait, that makes it an MVP-C Statement!" You're right. God calls us to be MVP--Most Valuble Person. But, even more, He calls us to be MVP-Cs--Most Valuable Person for Christ!

The "C" in an MVP-C Statement is for commission. This puts skin on the bones and makes the rubber meet the road so we walk the talk (okay, enough cliches already!). The major part of a commision statement is the MAP: Ministry Action Plan. This describes how you will achieve your M, V, and P. It keeps you accountable and moving forward.

For me, my MAP focuses on writing, speaking, and consulting--and a number of specific goals and objectives and methods that I have to ensure that in 09 I write, speak, and consult about comprehensive, compassionate, culturally-informed biblical counseling . . .

So . . . for you . . . what's your roadMAP for your 09 mission, vision, and passion? How will you get where God wants you to go? When you arrive, how will you assess whether you have met your goals? Create a MAP--a Ministry Action Plan that outlines specifically the steps on your 09 journey.

Be God's MVP-C in 09

I pray that when December 31, 2009 rolls around, we can all look back with awe and amazement because God will have empowered us to actually live out our 09 resolutions for His glory.

No comments: