Friday, February 13, 2009

Black History Month: Day Thirteen--Racism Is a Thing of the Past?

*Note: For The Journey: Day Twenty-Six see my earlier post today.


Black History Month: The History and the Controversy
Day Thirteen: Racism Is a Thing of the Past?

Well, I wanted to start a conversation. And I have!

Someone sent me a private message sharing the opinion that:

1.) Racism is a thing of the past.

2.) The election of Barack Obama proves racism no longer exists in America.

3.) Writing about any one race promotes a “victim mentality.”

4.) We should only read about good people of all races.

I love when people respond to my posts because it inspires me to think deeply and passionately. It does indeed create an ongoing conversation.

Here, in no particular order, are a couple of my thoughts in response to this email.

1.) Victim Mentality? No. Victor Mentality!

I have never written about a victim mentality in my writings on Heroes of Black Church History. In fact, the entire series comes from my book with the title Beyond the Suffering. I would think that Beyond might communicate the Victor Mentality! Writing about the heroes of a given culture is designed to encourage people of all cultures.

2.) Valuing Diversity throughout Eternity


I hope we all understand something. Even if racism were wiped from the face of the earth, the Bible still commands us to value diversity throughout eternity. We will celebrate unity in diversity in heaven for all eternity according to Rev. 7:9-10. The end of racism would not be the end of diversity. It would be the beginning of unity in diversity. There’s a world of difference.

3.) Racism Has Yet to Be Defeated

I would love to believe that one election implies the end of all racism, prejudice, and bias in America. I fear that would be a naïve conclusion.

Practically, we have no way of knowing what motivated the 49% of people who did not vote for an African American President. But more importantly, theologically, we know that we are totally depraved people. Sin will not be eradicated until our glorification in heaven. So, sadly, the hideous sin of prejudice and racism will never totally be eliminated until all sin is eliminated.

4.) Walking the Talk

I always find it interesting when someone says, “Let’s just read about good people of all races and not focus on just one race!”

Here’s the thing. I like to follow-up with the question, “So tell me the most recent book you read, especially the most recent American church history book, that talked about anyone other than dead white guys…”

Or, I’ll ask, “So tell me some great heroes of the faith who are from a culture different from yours…”

Of course, 99% of people can’t provide an answer. In theory, we say we want to read about all people of all cultures. In reality, most general studies books on American church history are only about the dead white guys. And most of us read only about people who are like us.

Now, I’m not against the dead white guys. One day I will be one of them! I wrote my Ph.D. dissertation on one of them: Martin Luther.

I just happen to be of the conviction that fair and balanced history is still not being written. That’s why I also write on Heroes of Black Church History. And why I also write on Heroines of Church History. As I said earlier, writing about the heroes of a given culture is designed to encourage people of all cultures.

Let the Conversation Continue

And what do you think?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On item #3: Racism Has Yet to be Defeated. I believe it goes much deeper than that. Much deeper than black and white. Take for instance the eleven states of the old Confederacy, where rebel flags can still be found, only Alabama and Louisiana will have events to celebrate the 200th Birthday of Lincoln. In Virginia, where Richmond was once the second capital of the south, stste lawmakers voted down creation of a bicentennial commission. Among the arguments presented, lawyer Robert Lamb, a member of the Sons Of Confederate Veterans argued the state should not celebrate a president who sent armies into Virginia to lay waste to our land.
Racism runs deep and has many faces.