Friday, February 27, 2009

The Journey: Day 41--Our Day of Reflection


The Journey: Forty Days of Promise
Celebrating the Legacy of African American Christianity

Our Day of Reflection


Thank you for joining me over the past forty-day journey. As promised at the outset, on our 41st day we pause to reflect.

My Reflections

In the introduction to Beyond the Suffering, Karole and I noted that the book is a gift to African Americans and a gift from African Americans. As a gift to, it honors the tremendous contributions made by African American believers—contributions frequently neglected by most historians. As a gift from, it equips and empowers all people of all races as we learn life lessons from heroes of Black Church history.

It is my prayer that the past forty days have serve a similar purpose. That my longest-ever blog series has been a gift to and a gift from African Americans.

It never ceases to amaze me that so few people are aware of these great believers and their great life stories. I hope their treasure will now remain unburied.

Your Reflections

Reflecting on everything you’ve read during these forty days, what topics and themes stand out to you? Why? What will you do with these concepts?

How can we keep the gift going and growing?

How can we expand intercultural ministry and relationships?

Biblical Reflections from the Past and Into the Future

Finally, let’s leave with two biblical reflections.

*Reflection # 1: Hebrews 11:1-12:3

The great past cloud of witnesses, though dead, their lives yet speak. I’m thankful that our legacy outlives us. I’m thankful for the African American legacy. Their legacy encourages and empowers me to live beyond the suffering and to leave a loving legacy for future generations.

*Reflection # 2: Revelation 7:9

When the Apostle John peers into the future, he does not see a homogenized eternity. Instead, he sees a multi-cultural future throng gathered together for ever and ever in joint worship of the King of Kings. I’m thankful that diversity will outlive the old heaven and the old earth. I’m thankful that in the new heaven and the new earth our differences will be celebrated. I want to live today in light of that future intercultural day.

No comments: